Power is seeking an experienced Site Reliability Engineer to join our team at our headquarters, just outside Philadelphia, PA. SREs at Power create and support our mission-critical business applications. Power’s Site Reliability Engineers enjoy a large degree of autonomy, and will work as part of a Scrum team focused on continuous improvement. In particular, we’re looking for someone who is a strong problem-solver, who relishes a challenge of delivering ambitious features and combating complex issues. Each person on our team is empowered to make technical decisions and influences the choice of the tools and methods for the job.
What does “SRE” mean to us? We choose to organize our teams around the ability to deliver great work rather than individual specialties, and focus on eliminating manual processes. At Power, you will join an established cross-functional team of developers, support personnel, and product owners. While your primary responsibility will be to handle infrastructure tasks, we encourage each team member to reach beyond their normal sphere. For example, one team member may be primarily responsible for DevOps and handle requests around application scalability, while another may be primarily an application developer building user-facing features. Both will contribute to planning, building and maintaining the infrastructure to support those features.
We build and support critical tools that enable the people we support to work more efficiently across a wide range of devices, technologies and physical spaces. We enjoy high visibility among the people who use what we create, and are expected to keep them in mind as we solve their problems. To do so, we employ technologies like Linux, automation, infrastructure as code, Ansible, Puppet, containers, Kubernetes, oVirt, VMware, monitoring, relational & non-relational databases, geospatial data & queries, speech recognition & text-to-speech, Voice over IP (telephony and next-gen voice & video) utilizing Asterisk, instant messaging/text chat with ejabberd, and everything that encompasses the Web & Mobile. If you enjoy delighting people by making computers do the heavy lifting, all while solving complex technical challenges while overhauling an industry, come join us!
Who We Are
For more than 29 years, Power Home Remodeling Group has been the most trusted name in replacement windows, siding, roofing, and entry doors. Trusted because we care about our products being energy efficient and cost effective. Trusted because we value integrity, honesty and true craftsmanship. Trusted because we believe in total customer satisfaction without compromise. Due to these commitments...we have been trusted by over 1M homeowners nationwide.
Throughout our 29 year history, it’s never just been about windows. It’s been about delivering on our promises — to our customers and to our employees. When you join the Power team — more than 1,600 strong and growing — you’ll experience a shared dedication to a greater goal. Our proven sales training program gets you where you’re going faster, with Power employees reaching higher salaries three times faster than their pharmaceutical and financial sales counterparts. And while you’re earning big, you’ll also have the opportunity to give big — in the form of unmatched co-worker support, camaraderie and charitable community outreach. With locations in eighteen major cities and aggressive plans to expand across the country, a career at Power is the “more” you’ve been looking for.
Accolades for Power:
#1 Workplace for Millennials by Fortune Magazine
#10 Glassdoor.com Employee’s Choice Best Place To Work (2017)
#17 ComputerWorld Best Places To Work in IT (2017)
One of Inc. 5000’s Fastest Growing Private Companies Philly.com Top Workplace for Midsized Companies
Philadelphia Magazine Coolest Companies (2015)
CIO Timothy Wenhold named Philadelphia Business Journal’s 2015 Top IT Pro
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Mid-level Site Reliability Engineer with history of delivering successful projects
- 5+ years Linux experience
- 3+ years automation experience, with Ansible and Puppet experience
- Familiarity with network tracing tools like Wireshark and OS tracing tools like lsof and strace
- Knowledge of common Unix services such as Apache, MySQL, Redis, BIND, OpenLDAP, etc.
- Strong shell scripting & automation experience
- Good understanding of Compute, Storage and Networking
- Curiosity and aptitude for learning complex systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong communication by phone/IM/e-mail is critical
- A commitment to deliver quality work on time
- Experience with container infrastructure, specifically Docker and/or Kubernetes
- Familiarity with at least one programming language (especially Ruby or Python)
- Familiarity with application and service testing procedures
- Experience working in a datacenter with physical infrastructure (servers, network, cabling, power, cooling, etc.)
- Experience with Voice over IP (SIP), especially either Asterisk or FreeSWITCH
- Experience with Git, GitHub, and Pull Request workflow
- History of contributing to Open Source Software
- Familiarity with Scrum Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive development of important customer-facing projects while maintaining a stable, production-ready infrastructure
- Work as part of a Team on stories as described in our agile project management tool
- Participate in our Scrum process with weekly planning, daily standups and weekly retros and demos
- Take feedback from testers and users to identify and resolve application problems
- Employ automation tools like Ansible, Puppet and Terraform to automate deliveries
- Assist developers to understand container infrastructure and managing containerized apps
- Handle as-needed support requests for infrastructure issues (disk full, network connectivity, failed daemons, etc)
- Work a rotating On Call shift to handle after-hours requests
- Diagnose application failures in staging and production environments, understand the underlying issues, and resolve them
- Maintain knowledge of system administration tools and best practices
- Be self-sufficient delivering assigned tasks - we work as a team, but we expect the members of that team to pull their own weight and contribute independently
Our stack currently includes the following technologies, but is constantly evolving. Knowledge of these specific technologies is preferred, but we’re equally interested in someone who can learn new technologies quickly, perhaps being the first on the Team to use them.
- Compute: Intel/AMD based servers
- Operating System: Ubuntu LTS
- Containers and Virtualization: Docker and Kubernetes, oVirt and VMware vSphere
- Storage: Block, File and Object Storage, mainly with NetApp and Pure
- Automation and Infrastructure as Code: Ansible, Puppet, Terraform, Jenkins
- Monitoring: Prometheus / Telegraf / InfluxDB / Kapacitor / New Relic
- Web applications: Ruby on Rails
- Databases: MySQL, Redis, LDAP, ElasticSearch
- Telephony: Adhearsion, Asterisk, Kamailio SBC
- Pubsub/Queues: Redis
- Organizational tools: Proprietary Scrum tool, Git and GitHub
- A robust social program filled with events and activities, including a company retreat to a tropical destination for you and a significant other. Full medical, dental, life, and disability insurance plans with immediate digital access to physicians across the U.S.
- Paid Parental Leave and Paid Volunteer Time Off.
- Free health screenings and rewards for participation in wellness programs
- Ample paid vacation and holidays
- A competitive 401(k) retirement savings program, matched by Power.
- An artfully designed office space to match your creative drive
- Free food and entertainment on every first Friday of summer
- Opportunities to further develop skills and attend leadership conferences and summits
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years of relevant industry experience, majority with Linux & Automation
- Proven track record of delivering projects
- Experience working on small teams preferred
Corporate Headquarters, outside of Philadelphia, PA
Power Home Remodeling Group is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce.